Home :: Current Students :: Counseling ::

Disability Services

Disability Services supports students with documented disabilities. It is our mission to ensure that programs and services of Stanly Community College are appropriately accessible to students in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Subpart E), the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the NC Persons with Disabilities Protection Act.

Section 504/The Americans with Disabilities Act
No otherwise qualified person with a disability shall, solely by reason of such a disability, be excluded from participation in, or benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination by any public or private entity. The Americans with Disabilities Act defines a disability as “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities such as walking, talking, seeing, hearing, learning, breath, working: or having a record of such an impairment, or being regarding as having one.”

Requests for Services
Students seeking assistance or accommodation are responsible for contacting Disability Services to self-disclose and provide appropriate documentation in order to receive services. Disability accommodations are not automatic and often require specific arrangements. Students are encouraged to initiate the request process 30 days prior to the beginning of a semester or class. All attempts will be made, but without minimal advance notice, SCC cannot assure that all appropriate accommodations can be accomplished prior to the first class. Reasonable accommodations are not retroactive and must be requested each semester. Information provided by a student is voluntary and appropriate confidentiality is maintained.

Students with disabilities requesting accommodations or special assistance are required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act to provide documentation describing a specific disability. Types of helpful documentation can include medical records, psycho-educational testing and school records. Documentation must be provided by an appropriate professional. Click here to determine the appropriate documentation needed.

Documentation may also include suggestions for compensatory strategies, adaptive devices, or other support services that would benefit the student.

Documentation will remain confidential and will be maintained by Disability Services. This information will be considered confidential and is to be shared within the institution on a need-to-know basis only. Disability records may be destroyed five years after the student’s last enrollment.

Steps to Requesting Services

New students at SCC must complete the following steps to receive services and/or accommodations:

  1. Gather and submit adequate documents establishing the existence of a disability (click here to determine the appropriate documentation needed).
  2. Contact the Office of Counseling and Special Services – (704) 991-0161 or
  3. Complete the Request for Services form.
  4. Submit required documentation (Students are encouraged to initiate the request process 30 days prior to the beginning of a semester or class).
  5. Work with Disability Services Counselor to develop a plan for accommodation. Consult with faculty when necessary.
  6. Sign the Consent to Release Disability Information.

NEW ACCOMMODATION FORMS ARE REQUIRED EACH TERM. Returning students at SCC who are currently being served by DS and have registered for classes should make an appointment with their DS counselor to request Accommodation Forms for the new semester.

If you have not previously registered with the DS office please follow the instructions for new students above.

NOTE ABOUT OTHER COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES:  Documentation requirements vary among colleges and other institutions. If you plan to transfer be sure to contact the office at the institution where you will be transferring and get information on their documentation requirements and process for applying for services and accommodations. SCC Disability Services can assist you with this process if you request.

Other Helpful Information:
Difference between high school and college for students with disabilities