The Preformed Line Product’s (PLP) Pre-Apprenticeship program, which is a perfect model, operates as follows:
- Interested students complete a pre-application form with the Associate Vice President of Advanced Manufacturing & Industrial Technology.
- Participants are interviewed and chosen by PLP from a pool of applicable SCC students.
- They will work at PLP for nine months while attending classes at SCC.
- The pre-apprentices work 20 hours a week and are paid by PLP.
- As pre-apprentices, they will work in three different processes including forming, extruding and casting. The students will alternate between the three departments to get exposure to PLP’s manufacturing process.
- At the end of the nine month period, PLP will evaluate the students’ performance and based on the results of the evaluation, PLP may decide to offer full-time employment.