Transfer of Entitlement

Transfer of Entitlement


The Department of Defense (DoD) offers members of the Armed Forces the opportunity to transfer Chapter 33 benefits to their spouse or dependent children.

If a member of the Armed Forces (active duty or Selected Reserve) serves six (6) years and reenlists for four (4) more years or has at least 10 years of service, then transfer of entitlement (ToE) is possible.

While in the Armed Forces, members use the Transfer of Entitlement (ToE) website ( to designate, modify and revoke a ToE request. After leaving the Armed Forces, members can provide a future effective date for use of the ToE, modify the number of months transferred or revoke entitlement transferred by submitting a written request to VA.

Effective July 1, 2019 - Eligibility to transfer benefits will be limited to service members with less than 16 years of total active-duty or selected reserve service, as applicable.

Note: After separating from the Armed Forces individuals cannot designate new dependents to receive transferred entitlement or amend the effective date of the initial transfer of entitlement to an earlier date.

There are two basic steps:

  1. The service member (transferor) must transfer the entitlement. If approved, transfer data is put into a secure online database DoD shares with VA. Upon confirmation of transfer data, please visit:
  2. The spouse or child (transferee) must apply. The VA application is available online at under Education Benefits.  Note that the spouse or child will complete the application with their information, i.e. social security number.