(Content updated: July 14, 2020)
While certainly different than those in the past, I trust each of you had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July. I hope this message finds you well and healthy.
Stanly Community College (SCC) has developed a Return-2-Campus Guide. This guide should assist employees in returning to campus for the fall semester. As much as we would like to continue to completely operate remotely, it is not possible to provide high quality education and services completely online. This means that our operational status will need to shift as we approach the fall semester. A group recently convened to provide additional recommendations on how to protect our faculty, staff, and students. After considering their recommendations, I am pleased to share that SCC will be undertaking the following efforts:
- Plexiglass has been and will be installed at various locations across campus. These plexiglass partitions will be located in areas that are more public facing than others.
- Masks, face shield, gloves, sanitizer, and disinfectant are being provided. Masks are available in the mail room if additional are needed.
- Certain doors on campus will be identified as entry and exit only to assist with flow of foot traffic.
- Certain areas of campus will have limited capacity (i.e., E1S, library, business office, Webb Student Center)
- Signage will be posted around campus addressing the following:
- Encouraging everyone to wear a mask
- Directional signs (entrance only, exit only)
- Waiting and occupancy guides
- Signage in restrooms limiting occupancy to the number of stalls available
- Signage for limited occupancy for elevators
- All social gatherings such as but not limited to Fall Fest, Holiday on the Hill, etc. will be canceled through the fall semester. This includes in person gatherings hosted by the hospitality committee. There should be no departmental pot luck gatherings. We will, however, still have a fall convocation. We will plan for very limited seating in the Webb Student Center, with a Zoom link available for remote participation.
While we do have key personnel whose positions can no longer be completely conducted remotely, SCC will continue to encourage teleworking to the extent possible.
Again, working remotely is still strongly encouraged for all staff who can fully complete their job duties from home. As a reminder, SCC will refer to the official CDC guidelines and the recently released SCC Return-2-Campus guidelines for generic references applicable to all areas.
SCC is working hard to do its part to ensure the safety and well-being of our faculty, staff, and students. Each of us must also do our part. Wear a mask when moving about campus or dealing with someone less than six feet away. Wash your hands frequently (or use sanitizer). Practice social distancing.
I am very proud of our SCC family and how we have continued to weather the COVID-19 storm. Even though we must begin having more on campus activity, we can continue to be safe while serving our students and community.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
John D. Enamait, Ph.D.
Stanly Community College