Applicants to the college will be evaluated and placed into gateway English and Math course(s) based on the following criteria:
- Graduated from a US High School and successfully completed Math 2, or its equivalent and has a valid High School GPA, or
- Has earned developmental course credit, or has successfully completed a college-level English or Math course, or
- Has completed an eligible placement test within the last 10 years, or
- Has earned an Associate or Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Graduated from a US High School
Applicants who have graduated from a US High School who have successfully completed Math 2, or its equivalent, and have a valid High School GPA will be placed into gateway English and Math courses using the following unweighted high school GPA ranges:
- 0.0 - 2.199 - Must successfully complete a Transition English or Transition Math course prior to enrolling into gateway English or Math courses.
- 2.2 - 2.799 - May register for any gateway English or Math course and be required to take the corresponding co-requisite course.
- 2.8 or higher - May register for any gateway English or Math course.
*Students whose High School GPA is more than 10 years prior to the enrollment term can request a placement test if the placement test would benefit the student's placement. (See the Placement Testing Rule for further information.)
Developmental Course Credit
Eligible Placement Tests
Eligible placement tests are valid for 10 years. Please see our Placement Testing Rule for more information, or select this link for a complete list of eligible placement tests.
Associate or Bachelor's Degree
Students who have earned a Bachelor's or Associate Degree, from an institution in which the college would accept credits from, have satisfied the requirements for RISE Pre and Co-requisites. For more information regarding the acceptance of credit, please see Transfer Credit from Other Institutions for Curriculum Policy.
For questions pertaining to our New Student's Start Here process and how to register for classes, please contact your Success Coach or our Eagle's 1-Stop.