Frequently Asked College/University Transfer Questions

What is the College Transfer program?
The College and University Transfer program was established in 1997 at all North Carolina Community Colleges. The College and University Transfer program is designed to meet the core or general education requirements at the four year colleges and universities. There are three college transfer programs: Associate of Arts, Associate of Science and Associates of Fine Arts. SCC offers the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees. There are specific guidelines regarding the completion and transfer for the two year Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees to the four year colleges. For more information on the College Transfer program, speak with a Transfer Counselor.

Why do I need to meet with a Transfer Counselor?
The relationship between a Transfer Counselor and a student is one of a collaborative partnership. The Transfer Counselor is here to support students as they navigate course requirements, transfer requirements, and set career and life goals. Transfer Counselors assist students by making course recommendations, providing college transfer information and through general academic counseling. They can also help you plan for and toward graduation and to clarify SCC’s degree requirements.

What are the differences between the Associate of Arts (AA) & Associate of Science (AS) degrees?
Each degree is broken down into six areas of requirements. The degree requirements are the same for both degrees in the area of English Composition. The differences are found in the Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Humanities/Fine Arts, Social/Behavioral Sciences, and Elective areas. The Associate of Arts provides the student with a variety of sciences to choose from, in no particular order. The Associate of Science degree limits the science offering to Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and requires a sequence of the courses within the subject area chosen by the student. There are multiple math options for the Associate of Arts. The math options with the Associate of Science are more clearly defined in a sequence beginning with Pre-Calculus. The Associate of Arts requires more credits in the areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Electives, while the Associate of Science requires more credits in Math and Science.

Do I need an Associate of Arts Degree or Associate of Science Degree?
It depends on what major you plan to pursue at the four year college level. The Associate of Arts is right for you if you are planning for a four year degree in the following areas: Humanities, Social or Behavioral Sciences, Arts, or Nursing (BSN). The Associate of Science is right for you if you are planning a four year degree in the following areas: Engineering, Agriculture, Mathematics, or the hard sciences like Chemistry, Biology, Physics, etc. It is always to students' benefit to talk with the four year colleges they are considering to determine if that particular college has a preference for the A.A. or A.S. degree.

Do I need to take a Foreign Language Course?
Many four year colleges and universities require new and transfer students to have completed some foreign language courses. Many four year colleges and universities will be looking for a student who has completed 2-3 years of the same, consecutive foreign language on the high school level. If you do not have any high school foreign language, it is recommended that you take two semesters of the same foreign language on the college level. Two semesters of the same foreign language are the equivalent of completing a foreign language on the introductory level. There are some colleges and universities that require a foreign language on the intermediate or 200-level.

Will my credits transfer to a college/university out of state?
That depends. SCC does not have any specified articulation agreements with colleges/universities outside the state of North Carolina. Students interested in colleges/universities outside North Carolina should contact those specific institutions about the transfer of course credit.

Will all of my courses taken at SCC transfer?
If you complete an A.A. or A.S. degree program that began Fall semester, 1997 or later, be sure you take only CAA approved courses and earn a minimum of a "C" in each course. However, not all CAA approved courses are acceptable for credit in particular programs, e.g. MAT 140 is not acceptable in certain programs at the four-year school. Please note that SCC courses beginning with a "0" are pre-curriculum courses and will NOT transfer to the four-year schools.

What is the North Carolina Community College Articulation agreement?
The CAA is a statewide agreement that governs the transfer credits between the institutions of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) and the constituent institutions of North Carolina. The Articulation agreement is a benefit to students beginning their college career at a North Carolina community college. The agreement states that if a student completes the Associate of Arts or Science degree, without making any "D" grades or transferring in credits from other schools, then the degree will transfer to a four year North Carolina public college or university as a block of 64 credit hours satisfying any core or general education requirements. This also gives the student junior class standing. There are some private colleges in North Carolina who honor this same Articulation Agreement (contact colleges individually to determine if they are a participating institution).