Tuition - Curriculum Students
Tuition and other charges are set by the North Carolina General Assembly, the North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges, and Stanly Community College’s Board of Trustees and are subject to change. While it is the Board’s policy to keep all charges as low as possible, nonresident students are required under North Carolina law to pay a higher tuition rate than residents. The student is responsible for complying with regulations concerning declaration of residency.
For tuition purposes, full-time students are those students taking 16 or more credit hours during each semester.
There is no additional tuition charge for those hours beyond 16. Part-time students (carrying fewer than 16 credit hours for the specific term) are charged by the credit hour. The following tuition is payable each term:
Tuition charges and fees are subject to change without prior notice to students. The College will accept cash, personal checks, and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover) for payment of tuition and fees.
Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes
Under North Carolina law, a person may qualify as a resident for tuition purposes in North Carolina, thereby being eligible for a tuition rate lower than that for nonresidents. The controlling North Carolina statute (G.S. 116-143.1) requires that “To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must have established legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina and maintained that legal residence for at least twelve (12) months immediately prior to his or her enrollment in a state maintained institution of higher education.” Ownership of property in or payment of taxes to the state of North Carolina does not automatically qualify one for the in-state tuition rate. Failure to provide requested information for residency classification can result in the student’s being classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes and disciplinary action. A student who believes that he or she has been erroneously classified shall be permitted to appeal the case in accordance with the procedure outlined by the State Residence Committee. Regulations concerning the classification of students by residence for purposes of applicable tuition differentials are set forth in detail in A Manual to Assist the Public Higher Education Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification, which is available for student inspection in the Student Development Office. Questions related to residency classification should be directed to the Dean of Enrollment Management.
Multiple legislative exceptions are available to students with respect to residency classifications. These exceptions permit colleges to override students’ tuition status and charge in-state tuition to students classified as non-residents.
- Active Military - Active military students and/or their children/spouses who are assigned Choice Act Educational Benefits.
- Veterans - Veterans who qualify for the Veterans Choice Act educational benefits.
- UNC Employees & Their Families - This exception is available for UNC employees, their spouses and/or their children.
- Business-Sponsored Students - This community college exception code is assigned to students whose NC employer is paying his/her community college tuition.
- Business Transferred Families - Students whose employer has transferred the student to NC.
- Public School Graduates - Current non-US Citizens who were legally admitted to the US and graduated from a NC High School.
- Ward of the State
- Nonresident of the US - Non-residents of the US who have resided in NC for 12 or more months and have filed an I-130, I-140, or I-360 with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.
- Federal Law Enforcement Officers
Supporting documentation for the above classifications must be submitted to the Admissions Office.
|Tuition & Fees Effective Fall 2021|
|In-State Tuition and Fee Chart|
|16 OR MORE||1216.00||35.00||30.00||48.00||6.00||1.25||1336.25|
|Out-of-State Tuition and Fee Chart|
|16 OR MORE||4288.00||35.00||30.00||48.00||6.00||1.25||4408.25|
|**CAPS FEE WILL BE WAIVED IF ALL CLASSES ARE ONLINE|
|****STSFE - Student Success Fee|
|LIABILITY INSURANCE: $8.00 per semester, $16.00 max per year|
|(applies to certain programs / classes)|
|**Other Programs/Courses may be subject to additional Fees|
|**Please be aware the Payment Plan Fee is 30.00|