State Authorization Policy
|Approved By and Date:||Board of Trustees||02-20-2014|
|Executive Leadership Team||01-02-2014|
The purpose of this policy is to comply with Federal Department of Education requirements and to create a process to comply with any State Authorization requirements applicable to Stanly Community College (SCC) and its courses or programs enrolling out-of-state students. SCC’s online/distance education programs must be authorized in certain states in order to offer courses or programs to students residing in those states. Many of these state laws and regulations apply to online instruction and/or other types of instances that may trigger a physical presence in that state.
State Authorization Procedures
|Approved By and Date:||Executive Leadership Team||01-02-2014|
- At SCC, both curriculum and continuing education courses may at times enroll students who reside outside the state of North Carolina. In the case of out-of-state student online course registrations, SCC will make every effort to seek authorization from the applicable states as soon as it is noted that a student wishes to enroll.
- Student registration may be denied based on the inability of SCC to obtain the appropriate authorization from certain states. The basis for that inability to comply with authorization will include but may not be limited to denial of application by that state, application cost, or excessive application requirements. In the case of unapproved states, the Office of Enrollment Management will notify students applying from those states that their application is denied and they may not enroll in the online course offerings.
- As states respond back to SCC with a positive authorization determination they will be added to a list of approved states visible on the SCC website.
- Certain states have regulations that denote physical presence as a trigger for seeking state authorization. SCC will monitor for the typical physical presence triggers that include but may not be limited to advertising, faculty member state of residence, student placement in clinical/practicums and work-based learning experiences. When physical presence is identified in a state, authorization will be sought.
- SCC will monitor the status of all approved states and seek periodic reauthorization if required.
- SCC reserves the right to approach states individually or seek membership in regional or national reciprocity organizations as may be deemed most advantageous for the institution and students.
Email Encryption Procedure