Pre-Employment Screening Policy
|Approved By and Date:||Board of Trustees||07-24-2014|
|Executive Leadership Team||07-01-2014|
Stanly Community College (SCC) seeks to maintain a safe working and learning environment, and as such recognizes the importance of hiring individuals who demonstrate the ability to adhere to rules, laws, and regulations. Criminal background checks will be conducted for all candidates who receive a conditional offer for full-time and part-time employment. As part of the background check, all candidates with a conditional offer will submit to a drug screening. For certain applicable positions, a credit check will also be required. An official offer of employment is contingent on successfully passing the drug screening, review of the criminal background check, credit check when applicable, and review of the official transcript(s).
Pre-Employment Screening Procedures
|Approved By and Date:||Executive Leadership Team||07-01-2014|
- In order to be considered for employment by SCC, an applicant will be required to sign a consent form authorizing a criminal background check, drug screening, and credit check if applicable. If any applicant refuses to sign the consent form, that applicant will not be considered for the position.
- Statewide criminal background checks will be conducted for all conditional employees who have lived only in North Carolina during the past ten (10) years. Nationwide criminal background checks will be conducted for persons who have lived outside the state of North Carolina during the past ten (10) years or longer.
- The applicant or conditional employee will not be hired if the criminal record check reveals a “criminal history,” defined as the conviction of a crime, whether a misdemeanor or felony, that indicates the applicant (i) poses a threat to the physical safety of students or personnel, or (ii) has demonstrated that he or she does not have the integrity or honesty to fulfill his or her duties as an employee.
- If a criminal background record check reveals that an applicant or conditional employee was charged with but not convicted of a crime, whether misdemeanor or felony, which suggests that the employee does not meet the employment standards of the College, the administration will conduct further investigation into the applicant's conduct to determine whether the applicant (i) poses a threat to the physical safety of students or personnel, or (ii) has demonstrated that he or she does not have the integrity or honesty to fulfill his or her duties as an employee.
- Information obtained through the implementation of this policy shall be kept confidential as provided in the North Carolina General Statutes. Only the Human Resources Officer and the Vice President for Administrative Services/Chief Financial Officer are authorized to conduct criminal background checks, drug screenings, and credit checks.
- Drug screenings will be conducted for all candidates who receive a conditional offer for full-time or part-time employment. Any applicant with a drug screening that reveals the use of illegal drugs, or prescription drugs for which the applicant does not possess a current prescription, will not be offered employment with SCC. The hiring manager will be notified by the Human Resources Officer that the hiring committee should move forward with recommending another suitable candidate.
- Should an employee leave the College and seek re-employment after being separated from the College for a period of one year or more, a new criminal background check and drug screening will be conducted prior to rehire.
- Official transcripts are to be reviewed by the appropriate Vice President or assigned designee in order to verify credentials.
Email Encryption Procedure