Inclement Weather Policy
|Approved By and Date:||Board of Trustees||04-11-2019|
|Executive Leadership Team||01-28-2019|
The intent of this policy is to ensure the safety of Stanly Community College’s students, employees, and visitors during severe/hazardous weather. Stanly Community College defines severe/hazardous weather conditions as any weather condition that may endanger students, faculty, or staff while en route to their classrooms or work stations. Students, faculty, and staff are required to follow the guidelines of this institutional policy.
Inclement Weather Procedures
|Approved By and Date:||Executive Leadership Team||01-28-2019|
- The President, in consultation with the Vice-President of Administrative Services/CFO, will determine the classification of days as either a College Closure Day or a College Late Opening Day. In the President’s absence, the Vice-President for Administrative Services/CFO will confer with the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Announcements concerning college operations will be made as soon as possible and announced on all local broadcast stations for all classes. In addition, announced closings/delays will be posted on the College website, Facebook page, other applicable media, and on the switchboard. To receive email message alerts and direct phone messages, update your contact information in Campus Alerts, the SCC notification system.
- If weather conditions become worse after an initial decision is made, the College will make an additional announcement as soon as possible.
- Closing or delaying the day programs does not automatically close evening classes. Announcements will be made in the afternoon concerning the evening classes.
- Students and employees should exercise personal judgment concerning roadway conditions regardless of college announcements.
- Missed class work will be made up by rescheduling the class, extra assignments, individual conferences, extended class sessions, online assignments, or other alternatives as determined by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Stanly Early College and other Career and College Promise program schedules will follow the College’s schedule for closure/delay.
References: 1c SBCCC 200.94 (Local College Personnel Policies)
Revisions: 12/12/2013 (policy), 11/04/2013 (procedures)Email Encryption Procedure