Inclement Weather Policy
|Approved By and Date:||Board of Trustees||12-12-2013|
|Executive Leadership Team||11-04-2013|
The intent of the policy is to ensure the safety of Stanly Community College’s students, faculty, staff, administrators and visitors during severe/hazardous weather. Stanly Community College defines severe/hazardous weather conditions as any weather condition that may endanger students, faculty, or staff while enroute to their classroom or work place. Students, faculty, and staff are required to follow the guidelines of this institutional policy.
Inclement Weather Procedures
|Approved By and Date:||Executive Leadership Team||11-04-2013|
- The President in consultation with the Vice-President for Administrative Services/CFO will determine the classification of days as either a College Closure Day or a College Late Opening Day. In the President’s absence, the Vice-President for Administrative Services/CFO will confer with the Executive Vice-President for Educational Services.
- Announcement concerning college operation will be made as soon as possible and announced on all local broadcast stations for all day classes. In addition, announced closings/delays will be posted on the college web site, Facebook page, other applicable media, and on the switchboard. To receive email message alerts and direct phone messages, update your contact information in WebAdvisor.
- If weather conditions become worse after an initial decision is made, an additional announcement closing school for the day will be made as soon as possible.
- Closing or delaying the day programs does not automatically close evening classes. Announcements will be made concerning the evening classes in the afternoon through the media (See item #2).
- When weather conditions dictate early dismissal of day or evening classes, the announcement will be made by telephone and via email as well as the normal routes of communication.
- Commuters, particularly those commuting from outside areas, should exercise personal judgment concerning roadway conditions regardless of college announcements.
- Curriculum class work will be made up by rescheduling the class, extra assignments, individual conferences, extended class sessions, online assignments, or other alternatives as determined by the Executive Vice President for Educational Services.
- Continuing Education sessions missed due to inclement weather will be rescheduled whenever possible and on a case-by-case basis.
- Stanly Early College’s schedule will follow the College’s schedule for closure/delay.