How to Begin Receiving VA Benefits

Military Services Educational Benefits


How to begin …

Students who are interested in receiving VA educational benefits must self-identify to the Financial Aid Office in order to insure that all eligible enrollment is submitted to the VA processing center.

1. Military Service students must initially complete a VA application. The applications are available online at then "apply for benefits" and log into VONAPP. The following identifies which application needs to be completed for the desired benefit:

Application for VA Education Benefits (form 22-1990)*

Dependents and/or Survivors:
Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance (form 22-5490)*

Transfer of Entitlement (for Spouses or Dependents)
Once the authorization from the Department of Defense indicating transfer of benefits has been received then the Application for VA Education Benefits (form 22-1990)* or Certificate of Eligibility.

Members of the Selected Reserve:
After receipt of Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE or form 2384) then the Application for VA Education Benefits (form 22-1990)*.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation:
Students must obtain 22-1905 Authorization from their caseworker and forward to the School Certifying Official. No application is required via the VA website.

*Students who have received VA benefits at another institution and are now transferring to SCC must file a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (veterans and ToE students VA Form 22-1995; dependents VA Form 22-5495).

2. Must complete a Stanly Community College Admission application and complete all requirements to be fully accepted into their program.

3. Must submit all post-secondary education transcripts within two semesters of a 2-year degree, within one semester of a Diploma program and within 25% of a clock hour program to insure that all transfer credit has been evaluated and received.

4. Students will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA as a result of completing the application, a copy of this Certificate of Eligibility should be turned into the School Certifying Official located in the Financial Aid Office.  *Note: students do not have to wait for the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility to begin classes.  SCC students are asked to complete and submit the Declaration of Military Service form (available under VA Forms) to insure that the correct data is sent to the VA processing center.

5. Advise the School Certifying Official once classes have been registered to insure that enrollment is sent to the VA for processing.

6. Complete the FAFSA at The FAFSA is the Pell Grant application and students who are receiving VA benefits are encouraged to complete this application as one benefit does not negatively impact the other and military service students are eligible to receive both as long as they qualify.

7. Notify the School Certifying Official of any changes to class schedule, i.e. adds, drops, withdrawals and change of start dates.