Out-of-State Residents

State Authorization Status

Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings.

Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence.

Click here to view the State Authorization Listing


Distance Learning Complaint Process

Stanly Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Stanly Community College.

Web site: http://www.sacscoc.org

Students with a complaint concerning SCC should make every effort to resolve the issue through the SCC Student Grievance Process (see the link to the policy below). In the event that an internal resolution to your complaint fails to reach a satisfying resolution, a Distance Learning student may continue the complaint process within their state of residence. Individual States Contact Information for filing Grievances provides contact information to the various individual state agencies responsible for handling student grievances.

SCC Student Grievance Policy


Residency for Tuition Purposes

Out-of-state residency for tuition purposes is determined via the Residency Determination Service (RDS) at www.ncresidency.org. Through the application process to the college, a valid Residency Certification Number (RCN) provides the college with residency for tuition purposes information. Appeals and reconsiderations may be completed through www.ncresidency.org. Please contact the State Education Assistance Authority at 1-844-319-3640 (Toll-Free) or 1-919-835-2290 (Local) for assistance or more information.