Security Controls for External Door Access Rule
|Executive Leadership Team||01-27-2020|
1. Supervisors are responsible to request via School Dude the appropriate office and external building keys or access cards for new, full-time employees.
2. SCC uses software-controlled physical access control for external doors on all campus buildings.
- Buildings that are fitted with RFID card readers are open to the public during normal operating hours.
- During other times, authorized employees must use the card reader at select external doors to gain access to campus buildings.
- The public and students will not have access outside of normal operating hours.
- No exterior doors may be propped open, either by using door stops or by holding the doors open, except for short-term purposes of loading materials in or out of the buildings. The software controls will notify campus security if doors are not secure. This is a matter of physical security for the occupants of the buildings and for all members of the campus community.
3. Full-time employees will be issued access cards that are programmed for the building access assigned to the employee. Employees may elect to have their photograph laminated on the access card for ease of identification. Employees whose usual work environment includes mechanical hazards will be issued key fobs for their safety.
4. The access programming is designed with the following priorities:
- Automatic locking and unlocking on programmed schedules amenable to educational activities;
- Rapid lockdown simultaneously college-wide for buildings under SCC control with override capabilities for certain employee or law enforcement positions; and
- Per-building employee access groups to permit after-hours access by full-time employees for the buildings in which they work.
5. The access programming will be updated as needed for successive academic terms and as employees change positions and/or building assignments.
6. External building keys to the Patterson Building are restricted to the President, Executive Leadership Team, designated Information Technology personnel, and designated facilities personnel.
7. Employees who were not issued an external door key or access card upon hire may need access to buildings or areas requiring such keys.
- For short term use of an external door key or access card for buildings:
i. The employee requests in writing to his/her direct supervisor and respective Associate Vice President (AVP) or Dean. Upon approval, the AVP submits a request via School Dude which will require approval of Security and the Vice President (VP) of that area.
ii. For all buildings except the Patterson Building: After obtaining all approvals, the Coordinator of Facility Services issues the key to the employee. The requesting employee should return the key on the next business day after the approved use of the key.
iii. For the Patterson Building: After obtaining all approvals, the Coordinator of Facility Services shares the lockbox security code with the employee. The requesting employee must verify that the door is locked after leaving the building and return the key to the lockbox before leaving campus.
iv. The VP of the area will be ultimately responsible for the return of the key(s). The Coordinator of Facility Services is responsible for changing the Patterson Building lockbox security code after each use by employees.
b. To gain emergency, after-hours entry to a building, the employee must gain approval from his/her direct supervisor and respective AVP or Dean. Employees are not issued keys in this case. The AVP or Dean will obtain approval from a member of ELT and then notify Security (either full-time college personnel or part-time local law enforcement personnel on contract to the College) to unlock the area and to verify the doors are locked after the employee leaves campus.
8. Violations of this rule may result in the revocation of privileges to obtain keys or access cards under this Rule and/or the application of the Progressive Disciplinary Policy.